School Councils play a key role in Victorian government schools. Participating as a school council member is a rewarding and challenging experience. The school council supports the principal to provide the best possible educational outcomes for students.
School councils have three main responsibilities:
- Finance – overseeing the development of the school’s annual budget and ensuring proper records are kept of the school’s financial operation.
- Strategic Planning – participating in the development and monitoring of the school strategic plan.
- Policy Development and Review – developing, reviewing and updating policies that reflect a school’s values and support the school’s broad direction outlined in its strategic plan.
Other key functions of school councils include:
- raising funds for school-related purposes
- maintaining school grounds and facilities
- entering into contracts
- reporting annually to the school community and the Department of Education and Training (DET)
- representing and taking the views of the community into account
- regulating and facilitating after-hours use of school premises and grounds
2019 School Council Members
Nell Carswell (President) Simon McCarthy (Treasurer) Jemima Collins
Kate Collett Shaun Cooley John O’Callaghan (Vice-President)
Kathy Arnold Mark O’Brien Jun Yang
Sharron Bailey Benjamin Zonca
Marcus Wicher (Principal / Council Executive)